Spring Cleaning (aka Tossing Stuff Out)

The warmer weather and changing light has got me on a Spring cleaning mission.  I made up a list of 20 zones in the house that need a deep clean and organizing.  This is the best way to go about it.  Sometimes even a room can be overwhelming.  By breaking things up into smaller bits the task seems much more doable.

The first item we tackled was some of the kitchen cabinets including the pantry. The kitchen renovation ended and BB came a few days later.  Our then live-in nanny was the one who unpacked our entire kitchen and organized it.  Four straight years of pregnancy and nursing left little time for me to re-organize things in there and so I've left it the way she had set it up.  But a few nights ago C and I finally decided to face it.  C put new shelves into the cabinets and we reorganized almost everything.  We have 2 more cabinets and a junk drawer to go before I can say the kitchen is complete.  I'm pretty sure the label maker is going to make an appearance before all is said and done.

In order to stay motivated, I'm keeping a tally of how many bags of things leave the house as either donations or trash.  So far I've written down 1.  We've made numerous trips to Goodwill in the Winter and I've been giving away baby gear and baby clothes (never worn!) to friends.  But I'm hoping my 20 zones will yield something like 12-15 additional bags of giveaways and some trash.  The whole house will feel lighter!

I don't have any before or during pictures but we did this in the dark of night so photos would not have come out well.  I will try to take a picture of the finished areas when natural light is good.

P.S. The weather is a balmy 70s today. I'm picking up the kids from school and taking them for a picnic to kick off the weekend!

Comments

Popular Posts