Ice, Water + Memories

We kept it close to home Friday morning and headed to the museum.  More specifically, the boys directed me to their favorite ice cream stand and then to the Hirshhorn fountain to enjoy cherry and lemon ice while watching the water.  I never mind cooling off in the shaded plaza on Bertoia chairs.

While they ate and played, I was thinking about C's father and my own grandfather.  Losing grandparents is an inevitability but losing them when you are only 3 and 5 would suck.  My grandfather died when I was around 11.  The fact is I only saw him a handful of times.  Once when I was 6 when he came to visit, then when I was 8 and 11 and went to see him.  And that's it.  Even so I have good and strong memories of him and it is only now that I'm writing this did I realize it was only three times that we visited.  But I knew he was my grandfather and that he loved me.

Of course we are hoping that C's dad makes a full recovery but I can't help to wonder what sort of memories BB and DD have of him.  On this last visit, DD asked "are they my family?"  At the tender age of 3 he has memories and asked the exact right question.  BB understands even more and they both take to YY and NN with ease.  So I'm trying to take comfort that even if this is all there will be, it is enough.

Comments

Popular Posts