{Fridays}: Asian Art

I realized that Friday will be my last "all day" Friday with the kids for a while.  Next week we'll be on vacation and the following week school starts.  In the morning the three of us went to the Sackler Gallery, the Smithsonian's museum of Asian Art.  I'm making an effort to expose the boys to their heritage and art is a great place to start.  In a room of Chinese flower paintings, BB yelled out that those were Grandma's paintings (my mom is an avid painter in the Chinese style).

In addition to art, I wanted to expose them to history as a concept.  The boys are still too young to understand too far back in time.  Heck, I have a hard time imagining it sometimes.  We looked at knives carved out of jade, bronze food and wine vessels, and hair ornaments.  They were interested in the knives and DD wanted to see what kind of soup was in the large tureen. 

After risking our lives to cross Independence Avenue for popsicles, we went home for lunch and a quick break before heading out for part two of our Friday.  Check back tomorrow to see where we went.

Comments

Popular Posts