Seasons + Holidays

I've mentioned my new obsession with collecting vintage childrens' books.  I love the simple illustrations and color palette.  I also love the grammer and word choice in many of these books.  Some that have become fast favorites in the bedtime rotation include The Elves and the Shoemaker (a childhood favorite of mine) and the Magic Porridge Pot.  Great, magical stories that are short enough but rich with detail.

Another thing that I've started to conciously do is to try and buy books that talk about the seasons and holidays that we celebrate.  My plan is to have a rotating book display and read certain books during certain times of the year and then put them away when the time is over.  Like most of you, we have a huge assortment of childrens' books and it would be impossible to display them all at once.  The kids currently have 3 main locations for their books on every floor of our house, with more in piles and baskets here and there.  Last night I started sorting through the volumes and am starting to hideaway ones and bring them back out later. 

This is part of my overall plan to do a nature table (check out this nature corner I wrote up for Ohdeedoh a few months ago).

Comments

Popular Posts