The Not So Lazy Summer Days

We are adjusting to a new normal here these first days of summer vacation.  It's counterintuitive that our summer schedule with the kids is more hectic and complicated than during the school year.  But that's how things work out in the summer with young kids.  The camp we chose happens to start the Monday after the last day of preschool so there wasn't any breathing room at all.

I've probably mentioned that because of new schedules, we hired a second nanny to help us for the summer.  Things are working out nicely so far but I long for the day when we no longer rely on others for childcare.  I do have to say that the boys are adjusting beautifully.  This sudden jolt of newness hasn't really been anything more than a blip on the screen as far as they are concerned.

For me, the ideal summer would be less scheduled and more relaxed than the other 9 months of the year.  I keep imagining having summers off to travel and spend time with the boys.  We could stay weeks or even a month at the beach doing nothing but walking the beach and swimming everyday. Then maybe go abroad for a few weeks.  So far I don't clearly see a path that will take me to this ideal lifestyle but I've made one major stride in the right direction recently so I'm not ruling anything out.

But right now we're just living by the schedule day to day - who picks up whom when.  I'm still trying to find a weekend for breakfast and playdate with friends.  We're still trying to fit in an outing with other friends.  And we still need to find a date for the first of several summer get togethers we're having.  Summer just begun and it's already too short.

Comments

Popular Posts