Happy Year of the Horse

As a continuation of my Chinese New Year post, I'm listing below a few books I purchased for the boys.

1.  The Lost Horse: A Chinese Folktale
An Ed Young written and illustrated-book, the pictures are lovely.  I had to buy it once I read that it's a classic Chinese folktale, one that I had never heard.

2.  Lon Po Po
Another Ed Young book, this one is the Chinese version of little Red Riding Hood.  My boys something with a tiny bit of terror in it and Lon Po Po has got that.

3. Goldy Luck and the Three Bears
BB and DD really take to retelling of classic stories like Goldilocks and the Three Bears so I knew this one with a Chinese-American twist would really appeal to them.


4. Hiss! Pop! Boom!
Not a story book, I'm hoping that this becomes our go to guide for explaining the celebrations and meaning surrounding the lunar new year.  The pictures are gorgeous, by the way, and it's a great reference book to keep on hand.

5. Cat and Rat: The Legend of the Chinese Zodiac>
I remember my dad telling me the story behind the animals of the Chinese zodiac with a vague recollection of the rat somehow outsmarting the cat, who never made it as one of the twelve animals. The actual details of the legend escape me so this book is in high order.  It's another Ed Young book, and I know BB will really appreciate the illustrations.  DD loves this one, as he's a rat.

Here's to a healthy, prosperous, and joyful Year of the Horse.  We celebrated with a family dinner, lots of red envelopes stuffed with money, toys and books.

Comments

Popular Posts