Chinese New Year Family Festival

One of the things I'd like to do more of is dive into our Chinese heritage.  Earlier this year, we decided not to enroll the boys in Chinese language school, and that decision really made me feel as though we aren't doing enough.  Since Chinese New Year is coming up, it's time to celebrate and Saturday's Chinese New Year Family Festival at the American Art Museum was the perfect opportunity.  The boys witnessed their first Lion Dance and they really loved it.  There were arts and crafts tables set up, a puppet show, traditional Chinese instruments, and whole bunch of stuff about BaoBao, the baby panda.

While I search for other Chinese New Year events, I ordered some books so that we could all learn more about Chinese traditions.  I've never spent a Chinese New Year in Asia and I've always been curious about the scale of celebration there.  Offices and schools are closed, merchants sell special food and little items for the days of partying.  You see your friends and your extended family for dinner after dinner.  You pay off any old debts and buy new clothes.  You clean the house spotless.  That's what I've heard.  Oh, and you get red envelopes with lots of money.  That part we do know about, and that part the boys, for the first time really, are looking forward to because they have some specific toys in mind.

Update:  I found some press coverage of the event and spotted BB and part of DD in this photo which is happening at the same exact time as my third photo here.  Scroll through their slideshow for a few more photos and see if you can spot me and C too.

Comments

Popular Posts