Shopping And The Price Of Things

Have I been talking about shopping a lot here?  The rainy and sometimes cold weather has us going shopping at least once every weekend for the past three weeks to pick up things for the boys and ourselves.  The other day we went to get new boots for BB and DD but that included a trip to other stores which led to several toy purchases.

Admittedly, C and I don't say no to the boys much when it comes to shopping.  As boys they don't ask for clothes or shoes.  The only thing they ask for are toys and books and they don't ask often because we don't shop with them very much.  So because of this, we rarely decline.  But I'm starting to think BB is old enough to introduce the concept of money and how it's finite and how you have to work for it.  On this particular shopping trip, we had BB stand in the lines and pay for his own purchases.  Next step will be to talk about prices.

I don't remember when I first learned about money and how it works but I do remember it was a hard concept to grasp - that my parents wouldn't just swipe that little plastic card and allow me to bring the thing home.  I look at where the economy is today and how some people got themselves into the predicament they are in now and I think we better start those money lessons sooner rather than later.

Comments

Popular Posts