Almost Heaven on Skyline Drive

 

We took advantage of the holiday and took a trip to Shenandoah National Park, Skyline Drive.  Starting when I was DD's age, my dad would take me and my mom out for long Sunday drives to Skyline Drive.  I remember stopping to fill up the gas tank and buying a few treats at the beginning of each journey.  My mom would bring my pillow and blanket for me in the backseat (pre-car seat days).  Along the way we'd stop to look in touristy gift shops where I'd always score some treasure.  My mom always insisted we stop at produce stands for sweet white corn and juicy tomatoes.  I'd pose for pictures on top of the car and when it was cold enough, my dad would break off icicles formed by the spring water flowing down the mountain and let me lick it.  On the way home, I'd sleep.

For a long time now I've wanted to take the boys to Skyline Drive.  They're too young to do any kind of real hiking, but as I've mentioned before they love nature.  I wanted to show BB especially the view from a mountain top.  It was cold on Monday but we dressed the boys in new heavy sweaters and down vests.  When it got really cold at around 3000 feet, they put on their coats.  The sun broke through around noon.  BB and DD without fail were drawn to the snow and ice.  After a picnic lunch, they quickly fell asleep all the way home.

On a completely unrelated note, BB saw a mole on C's body and wanted to know what it was.  I told him it was a mole.  DD frantically pulled up his right pant leg and showed everyone his mole.  He knew exactly where this tiny mole was on his body.  This kid amazes me.

Comments

Popular Posts