Summer Swim Team

I don't care what the calendar says - Summer is here.  An early Memorial Day and warm weather kicked it off.  So did the opening of our new pool and swim team!  This is new for us, and by the look of things, will take up much of the rest of May, June and July.  There is practice every week day and swim meets once a week.  Food trucks come every Friday; the ice cream man comes daily.  Pool culture in the burbs!

Summer wasn't really on my mind in the last few months. It only bubbles up to the surface in the dead of Winter when camp sign-up starts, an Olympic event in and of itself. I give it another thought in early Spring when it's time to pick venues and fix dates for BB's and DD's birthday parties. But now that Summer is upon us, I truly am looking forward to the change of pace.
A note about swim team - BB and DD had to swim to qualify for the team. When we first told them about it, BB had some anxiety. Admittedly, this is something brand new to him and I didn't have much details to offer since it's not something I had participated in as a child.  But like the rock stars that they are, they both qualified for the team, and after just one practice, the coach moved them up to the next level (with the big kids)!  DD is the youngest again by almost two years.

I don't say this because I'm proud of BB and DD as swimmers; no one is saying either of them is Michael Phelps.  What I am extremely proud of is the fact that, in the face of the unknown and much anxiety, each of them pushed through and tried. That means fighting against the fear, doing your very best, and risking failure.  For that, I always look at both my sons with wonder. They are each braver than I ever was.

Comments

Popular Posts