Field Trip to the Forbidden City

Our family's usual New Year's Day ritual is to take a brisk nature walk to welcome the new year. This year, we set off some poppers and littered our driveway with streamers, and then decided to set off for a little field trip.  I always try to let BB and DD see as much Asian and Chinese culture and art as possible so when I read that the Virginia Museum of Fine Art was having a China exhibit, we had to go.
The exhibit, Forbbiden City: Imperial Treasures from the Palace Museum in Beijing, showcased an enviable collection of ceremonial armor, weapons, clothing, scrolls, and other artifacts. Unfortunately, no photography inside the exhibit is allowed, so if you don't think you're going to be in Beijing anytime soon,  you'll have to go check it out for yourself.  The drive and ticket price was worth it.

Afterwards, we chilled in the cafe while listening to live jazz.  The museum was open late that night so we had a chance to check out the rest of the galleries.  One of the exhibits I wanted to see was Miwako Nishizawa's Twelves Views of Virginia.  My favorite was his painting of Cape Henry lighthouse (see below).  All of the twelve paintings are Virginia as painted in the shin-hanga woodblock style. I always like to see the successful interplay of East and West.  (Remember the Roy Lichtenstein paintings done in Chinese landscape style?  Here is a pic.)
The VMFA has a nice collection of contemporary art tucked away in some of its galleries upstairs. The boys really loved seeing it. I was asked by another mom recently if my kids really understand art, when she had asked me for art museum recommendations.  I didn't really know how to answer her. We just visit and look at art - some pieces they enjoy, others they don't.  I'm not too worried about whether they understand the piece or the artist.  Who really does?  To me as long as they can enjoy it (or not), is all that I care about.

Our impromptu field trip was a great way to spend New Year's Day.

(Update: the Forbidden City exhibit has just been extended until January 19).

Comments

Popular Posts