The Countdown to Christmas

I loved the countdown to Christmas when I was a kid.  In a way, it was even better than Christmas itself.  So we have always celebrated the holiday season with advent calendars.  In the past, I've bought ones that include toys - Playmobil and Legos make good ones.  But BB and DD prefer what we do now.  Now I buy a calendar with little windows to open each day.  There are no treats, but sometimes there are stickers or little scenes.  This year, we went with this winter village calendar that I just love. In addition, I bought this wall hanging pocket advent.  Inside I tuck a little treat with a slip of paper with an activity on each one.  Some of our activities this season:

1. Family movie night of a Christmas classic.

2. Go see Christmas lights.  (From past years, you know there are several in the area we go to.  This weekend we went to Seneca Creek Park to see Winter Lights, a family tradition).

3. Bake and decorate Christmas cookies.

4. Listen to Christmas carols while decorating the house.

Tonight on the 4th, our little slip of paper allowed the boys to receive a small gift.  I bought a few smallish toys to keep around the house leading up to Christmas.  So they got Connect Four and played endless rounds.  It was great fun to watch.

Comments

Popular Posts