Do You Know Congee?

If you're not Asian, you might not necessarily know about congee.  Or so I thought.  While reading the list of blogs I read, I came across a mom who makes congee when the weather turns cold to fortify her family. Oh, and they're not Asian. I've been making congee, specifically turkey congee, in the slower cooker for a few years now.  It's easy, delicious and when made with brown rice, very good for you. 

Are you interested in my recipe? You just a need 1 cup of brown rice (or however much you want to make), turkey wings or thigh, ginger, scallions and water.  You can lightly brown the turkey in a pan before adding to the slow cooker,  Add the rest of the ingredients but for the scallions and cook for 6-8 hours. You can adjust water level depending on how thick or thin you like your congee. You can remove the turkey and shred the meat to add back into the congee.  Top with scallions and enjoy.

Comments

Popular Posts