Ladies Who Lunch at the Garden Cafe

I don't often go out to lunch during the work week.  There is nothing I would like more but my schedule doesn't permit this.  So having lunch with one of my good friends this past Friday in the middle of work was something I had been looking forward to all week.  She and I were lawyers at a super large firm together years ago.  We spent endless (no exaggeration) nights at the office eating takeout dinners or scrounging for food out of the vending machine.  During certain weeks when we knew we'd be pulling all nighters, we would take a quick walk outside to pick up lunch.  It was during those walks that I would see all the tourists and DC natives enjoying the weather, the museums, everything the city had to offer.  I was smack dab in the middle of it but enjoying none of it.  It was sad, and so was I.

Fast forward a decade and we both are married with kids.  And in our own ways and on our own paths we have figured out how to balance life's priorities the best we can.  So today on the calendar was just a lunch date with a dear friend, but it was also a celebration (as it turned out) of the journey both of us have taken in our careers and in our larger lives to be where we are at this moment - two ladies who lunch in the middle of the day at the Garden Cafe in the West Building of the National Gallery of Art.

Comments

Popular Posts