Project Planning 1: The Library

What a luxury to have a library in the house.  Instead of a dedicated room, I'm thinking a more modern concept of a library - having bookshelves and reading area in a particular area of the house.  In the new house, we have a lovely landing area at the top of the stairs that enjoys floor-to-ceiling windows.  It over looks the front yard.  I love this spot.  As a temporary measure, we put a large bookshelf there and unpacked all of BB and DD's books the first week we were here.  What do you know, it looks great!  A front bedroom has a second set of doors that opens right up to this area.  A new rug makes it a cozy place to peruse the shelves and revisit some old favorites.  Once the work we're having done to the upstairs is complete, I'll be adding a few more accessories, and then periodically curating the books.

In addition to the shelves we have now, I was thinking about adding this adorable Brownstone Bookcase to the landing as well.  I found it over at Land of Nod and I think it would go great with our house. They're like the American version of the Kast van een Huis cabinets that I have admired for years.  I've also been ogling the Slotted System Bookcase from Book/Shop.  A few of these along the floor would be perfect to store seasonal books and current favorites in the boys' room.

With the introduction of homework into our lives, I've been so grateful for the library of books we've amassed over the years.  Lots of our reference and non-fiction books have come in handy for assignments.  But as is too often the case around here, the boys, especially BB, have outgrown much of the picture books.  So it's time to replenish and prune.

Comments

Popular Posts