Union Market and the Rise of the Hipster

I finally made it to Union Market on Saturday.  We've driven by the area countless times on the way to the National Arboretum, or on the way out of town, but never knew about the public food market that existed in that neighborhood.  It is amazing the number of wholesalers there selling to every restaurant in the D.C. area.  On another day, I'd love to be able to walk around and see what these vendors have to offer.  But my mission was to visit the new Union Market, the modern bright white structure built to house the artisanal vendors that hock their coffee, free range meats, bread, cheese, soups, flowers and oysters.  You can even get your knives sharpened there.

It's a cool space - like a traditional indoor food market but more stark.  It's smaller than I thought.  They need more vendors and tables before it becomes a one-stop shopping destination for me, but I did enjoy my quick visit (while C waited in the car with DD, who was napping).  The crowd is decidedly hipster, a different flavor than most of D.C.  It skews toward Williamsburg, Portland.  I walked away with a loaf of sourdough from Lyon Bakery and these photos.  I plan to go back from lunch one of these days and give it a fuller review after that.

Comments

Popular Posts