Comfort as a Life Concept

It's taken me awhile to synthesize my thoughts in order to write this post.  In the last few years I feel as though my thoughts and actions have converged around making everyday life comfortable.  Maybe you read that sentence and think...duh.  Who doesn't want to be comfortable?  Or are you reading that and thinking, hey, that's a concept.  I have both reactions depending on the day.

What am I talking about exactly?  Maybe you expect it from me but you're not going to get a post about hygge.  I'm not Danish so there is nothing that I can add to hygge that hasn't already been conveyed in a thousand other blogs and articles and books.  I am talking about actively researching and looking for concepts and lifestyle ideas that make your surroundings more comfortable and therefore enjoyable and enriching. Why is this worth writing about?  Because I've never really lived this way.  As a student and years after, I never really sought out comfort.  I've listed things like adventure and luxury, but not plain old comfort.

Perhaps the word isn't comfort; perhaps there is no English word for the concept I'm trying to convey.  It has to do with your physical home, for sure.  But it also has to do with your emotional and mental well-being.  Part of it is practical - a clean, organized, well-stocked home.  Part of it is spiritual - a calm, loving, flowing space.

On the practical front, like the other hordes of post-Christmas furloughed workers, I binged on Netflix's Marie Kondo show, rolled up my sleeves, and got to work.  The entire kitchen pantry has been revamped.  The large linen closet upstairs is almost there.  I refolded every item in my drawers into rectangles so now everything fits easily.  I rid the kitchen of dishware that did not spark joy in me.  I think I have another round to go before I'm fully satisfied.

But I have to go deeper.  One thing I've been much better about is using the things I buy.  I used to buy things but shy away from using them because they were too precious.  Use all the things!!!  Using things up means you end up with fewer things plus consuming the product provides more comfort.

Comments

Popular Posts